Thread: Nite Kings

Default Nite Kings

I saw an interesting band last night, that I'm sure would impress a lot of our mature members. Yes, not everything out here is for the 20 something crowd. Tuesday nights at Sam's Town, through march.

They're called the Nite Kings, and they're all in their 50's or 60's themselves. You might call them the "other" jersey boys. A lot of them are from New Jersey, and you can tell just by listening to them talk. There are four front men singing, all dressed in matching suits with boutineers (sp?) and shined shoes. The three guys (and lady drummer) in the band behind them wear matching suits as well, but they're a different color.

They've been described as a Doo-Wop band (not sure if that's spelled right either, as this lingo was just a bit before my time.) But, they do some of the same oldies but goodies that I enjoy when InAFect plays them. I stayed for a whole set, even though I was exhausted. I actually just went to visit Dr. Chris behind the bar, since he makes one mean Long Island tea, and I needed one after my 13 hour day. The band sounded so good that I decided to stay awhile. Lots of folks were dancing too. Even a gentleman in a wheelchair.

As for the dance steps, the guys are a little heavier and older than InAFect, so they don't do half splits and moon walks. But they do some Temptations style steps, and spins, and they move together quite well.

The average age of the audience was 55 to 65 years old. So, I was the youngin in the bunch. But I still enjoyed myself. This was the music my parents listened to.

The group has a website which I haven't visited yet, but I'm sure they have a lot more info than I've posted. www.nitekings.com
    Last edited by vegasbabe; 01-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks for sharing this, you are a great source of lounge info.
    I was so ready for the possibility that In Affect would be at Excal while our fave Klique band was on vacation, they weren't, i will keep checking.

Thanks for the compliment Deb. Yes, I am definitely a lounge lizard! Tonight was InAFect night at Sam's Town. They're now doing wed and thurs 8-midnight, and friday and sat. 10:30-3 a.m. Not every week though. I'll have to check them out again friday night, and see what kind of music they do that late at night.
    Also, they said on their facebook page that they now have a CD out, but they're only available at performances. They made no mention of it tonight when they finished, but they may have sold them during their breaks, and I missed it. I only saw their last set. I'll keep everyone posted on the Sam's Town, and ESC bands at least.

Thank you so much for the information. This band sounds like one we would love th hear. Sure appreciate all of the information you have on lounges and bands etc. Thanks again.
    Bonnie

Blog Entries

Being in the right age bracket, we saw the Nite Kings once and we'll stick with In A Fect.

I'm sure InAFect will be number one in my book for a long time to come too, but with their newest member, they seem to be leaning a little more toward hip hop and rap. The more mature crowd may not appreciate that as much. You can always check them both out, and judge for yourself.

I am really missing Larry's guitar solos. I just don't see why they need 2.5 keyboard players, and no guitar player. I haven't had a chance to chat with any of them since the change happened. But if I get the chance, I'm going to remind Larry, it's not illegal to play two different instruments in the same set. I haven't seen him play lead guitar since october. Only bass.

On the up side, they are doing a wider variety of music. Besides the hip hop, they've added One Republic, Maroon 5, and I may even be requesting some Chicago soon. It still feels great though, to walk into a lounge, and have them break into a classic Earth Wind and Fire song.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbabe View Post
    I'm sure InAFect will be number one in my book for a long time to come too, but with their newest member, they seem to be leaning a little more toward hip hop and rap. The more mature crowd may not appreciate that as much. You can always check them both out, and judge for yourself.

I am really missing Larry's guitar solos. I just don't see why they need 2.5 keyboard players, and no guitar player. I haven't had a chance to chat with any of them since the change happened. But if I get the chance, I'm going to remind Larry, it's not illegal to play two different instruments in the same set. I haven't seen him play lead guitar since october. Only bass.

On the up side, they are doing a wider variety of music. Besides the hip hop, they've added One Republic, Maroon 5, and I may even be requesting some Chicago soon. It still feels great though, to walk into a lounge, and have them break into a classic Earth Wind and Fire song.
    The Nite Kings are another choice.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbabe View Post
    Thanks for the compliment Deb. Yes, I am definitely a lounge lizard! Tonight was InAFect night at Sam's Town. They're now doing wed and thurs 8-midnight, and friday and sat. 10:30-3 a.m. Not every week though. I'll have to check them out again friday night, and see what kind of music they do that late at night.
    Also, they said on their facebook page that they now have a CD out, but they're only available at performances. They made no mention of it tonight when they finished, but they may have sold them during their breaks, and I missed it. I only saw their last set. I'll keep everyone posted on the Sam's Town, and ESC bands at least.
    We are lounge lizards, too! I even have a shirt that says so!